8.14.2004

I'm Next!

I recently was surfing the web and found a comment--"All the great J's die young: Janis Joplin, Jim Morrison, and Jimi Hendrix." Naturally, my name being Justin, this got me thinking. Am I of high enough caliber to be considered a "great J?" Perhaps, and obviously this would be considered a monumental accomplishment. My name would forever be etched in the history books beside the likes of Morrison, Joplin, and Hendrix, three of the greatest musicians of recent history. Maybe our quartet would receive such an honor as that bestowed upon Washington, Jefferson, Roosevelt, and Lincoln, the four faces on Mount Rushmore. They could name our monument "Stone Hen-J." But that is beside the point, and merely a petty dream. The real issue now shifts from determining my worthiness to be dubbed a "great J" to that of what to do with my designation. Should I fight my impending doom and attempt to live my life to its fullest potential, or should I resign myself to the will of fate and allow destiny to take its course? If I fight death and succeed, my valiant efforts could be rewarded two ways: either I am highly and undoubtedly successful, living up to my predecessors, or I am merely a lukewarm success with limited prospects and unaccomplished dreams. In one case, I am widely revered, yet I break a standard previously established, that of dying young, which could possibly subtract my name from the ranks of the great J's. In the other case, I am merely a bug splat on the windshield of life, my existence amounting to nothing. My other option, to accept death's early sting, would leave only one option. People worldwide would see my accomplishments up to this date and think to themselves, "What a tragic ending! If only this young lad was not robbed of his precious life, he could have made countless contributions to society!" This will clearly give me respect and love on a global scale, which is much better than the chances I will partake in if I choose to fight a tragic death. It is now clear to me that I am destined to die young and there is nothing I can do about it. Due to this realization, I now resign myself to the icy hand of death, which may grip me anytime it wishes. Anytime, so long as it's after I change my name to Zeppelin.

No comments: