9.14.2004

iMac

Today I (or is it "i"?) will be discussing the finer points of why the Apple Computer Company decided to name their most famous line of computers the "iMac." In case you're wondering, yes I do have an iMac. Now I know this may result in harsh reactions from my reading crowd, because some people out there are so fiercely anti-apple that they hardly even know why anymore. It's that darn mouse! Only one button confuses me so much! And how can a computer not have a tower? And why the fruity colors? And why black keys on the keyboard? I think all this P.C. propaganda stems from a deep hatred of change. The neophytes out there want you to believe that just because it's slightly different, it must be stupid and impossible to use. Due to this, I even am preparing for the worst -- yes, I am contemplating what I will do should you haters decide to boycott my blog! What, you ask, is my plan for action should such a shocking circumstance arise? Simple. I'll do what I did before my sister told you all to read my blog, and just post for no reason. "Sonic Intoxication" will serve once again for only my interests, as an outlet for writing, for storytelling, for anything and everything I need. Honestly, here's my take on computers. Sure a mac and a pc are different. But I can use either one. And I don't really hate one or the other. Put a PC in front of me, I'll use it. I'm not exclusively mac oriented. But that's what my mom bought, and I'm too poor to buy something else that I don't really care to spend money on. So that's where I stand. Now that I'm done with that pathetic rant, I'll move onto my actual proposed topic of the day. In case you forgot, it's why this thing I'm typing on is called an "iMac."

First off, we all know the origins of the "Mac" part of the equation. Macintosh is a kind of Apple, and the name of the company is/was "Macintosh Apple." Great. You know what, I just realized that absolutely no one would ever care to read more than like...two sentences on my proposed topic. So now that I've thoroughly lost your focus, I'm dumping this topic in favor of one that might hold your miniscule attention span. New topic: Maybe I'll just go with random musings. Why isn't sticky tack sharp? Why is abbreviation such a long word? Why do "overlooking" and "looking over" have opposite meanings?
Check out this guy. He looks intense. These ping pong guys remind me of a frisbee my sister had once that said "Death or Glory" on it. Now, as a big fan of ultimate frisbee, I think that's freaking awesome. But lets take this in perspective shall we? It's a plastic disc. Maybe if they inscribed that saying on like...a bullet. But not a frisbee. I think everyone's original memory of playing frisbee is in the back yard tossing it around and having some fun. Maybe your memory is slightly different, but I don't think many people recall images of "death and glory" when thinking of a frisbee. If I'm wrong, and you're different, by all means please leave a comment. I wanna talk to you. Like if your first memory regarding frisbees is something similar to sandlot, where you try to get the frisbee from some mean dog, that's awesome. Especially if this mean dog hasn't happened to see sandlot and doesn't know that in the end everyone turns out okay. So if one of your friends had his arm chewed off by a dog while trying to get a frisbee, I'm sorry for the traumatic experience, but tell me the story! please. That's how you get glory, risking all to steal a piece of plastic from a ridiculously large dog. The End.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi. I comment because I am different, and thought you need hear some reality. Death Or Glory is the most appropriate inscription I've ever heard for a frisbee. You say its merely a piece of plastic and shouldn't have the association with strong things like death or glory. You are wrong, my friend. Frisbees are often lethal. My first memories of a frisbee is this: I was 7 years old, just a little tike. me and my poppa were throwing around the frisbee in the desert behind our house. I could throw the frisbee pretty fierce for a little tike, and tossed it to my dad, a pretty good throw, yet a bit askew. The askew part is where the death and glory come in. My pops went for it all the way, you know, like an olympic volleyball player will go for a dive without thought to self-injury (death or glory, eh?). Well, there happened to be a monstrous cacti directly in between the path between my pops and the frisbee. Which he didn't notice. He ran smack into the cacti. I don't think its necessary to go into the process the doctors had to go through to get him to look like a human again. Never underestimate the power of a frisbee.

Robb said...

hi justin,

i too have an imac. mine is grape. also you ping-pong guy link is broken. it doesn't render in my browser. i had to search the source to find the url of the image. good day.

Shelley said...

your picture is broken. You seem to forget that my forte is stealth and espionage--how could i not know about every change made on my blog? I must just be the coolest person ever. Good thing we're best friends. This is a very good link for you, sorry i can't think of the html tag to make it active...: http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?Shelley%20Shaver
Also, nkvlffo is the secret message that showed up at the bottom of the comment screen.